Interested in a field trip or event? Select the event’s name to learn more.
NYSOA 72nd Annual Meeting and New State York Birders Conference
September 13 - September 15
The 72nd annual meeting of the New York State Ornithological Association (NYSOA) will be held September 13-15, 2019 at the Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel and Conference Center in Kingston, NY. This meeting will be hosted by the Catskill Center in conjunction with its fourth annual Taking Flight conference. The John Burroughs Natural History Society will be organizing and running field trips. The conference will be chock full of great birding and educational activities, along with opportunities to catch up with old friends and make new ones. Highlights will include:
- Saturday evening banquet featuring “The Language of Birds,” a program by Nathan Pieplow, author of the Peterson Field Guide to Bird Sounds of Eastern North America. You’ll listen in on the pillow talk of a pair of Red-winged Blackbirds, and learn the secret signals that Cliff Swallows use when they have found food. You’ll learn how one bird sound can have many meanings, and how one meaning can have many sounds—and how, sometimes, the meaning isn’t in the sounds at all.
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday field trips, including a Slide Mountain Bicknell Thrush hike for those who are up to it! See details
- Friday evening Hudson River birding cruise (additional fee required)
- Paper presentations and other programs Saturday afternoon.
- NYSOA award presentations.
- NYSOA’s Annual Business Meeting
The field trips of JBNHS are oriented to nature study. They are free and open to the public. We do, however, sometimes visit sites that charge admission fees, which are the responsibility of the participants. Children are very welcome on field trips, but pets are not. Although there is a brief courtesy waiting period for latecomers, the meeting times are important: please arrive in time to sign up with the leader.