SPRING MIGRATION BUS TRIP TO CENTRAL PARK
April 27 @ 5:00 am - 4:30 pm
Saturday, April 27, 2024 – 5:00 am to 4:30 pm
Trip organizer: Evelyn Leigh firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost per person: $45 (includes bus driver’s gratuity)
- Depart Uptown Kingston Hannaford Plaza (100 Plaza Road) parking lot at 5:00 am (bus loads at 4:30 am)
- 5:30 am Pick up passengers at New Paltz Park & Ride (Thruway Exit 18)
- Arrive at American Museum of Natural History on Central Park West around 7:00 am
- Depart New York City 2:30 pm
- Arrive New Paltz 4:00 pm/Kingston 4:30 pm
The Trailways bus accommodates 52 passengers and has wifi and a bathroom. The trip is open to both members and non-members and early registration is encouraged.
To reserve your seat on the bus:
Mail: Make checks payable to John Burroughs Natural History Society ($45 per person)
Mail to: Lin Fagan, Treasurer
281 West Chestnut St.
Kingston, NY 12401
Overview: Join JBNHS for a day trip to Central Park, one of the best spring migrant traps in the northeast. Participants will be free to stay with the group or split off on their own to bird the park, visit museums, explore the city, or a combination, as long as you are back at the bus at departure time. A map of Central Park and more information on birding sites within the park will be provided before the trip.
What to bring: In addition to binoculars, a small backpack is suggested to hold a lunch, snacks, water, field guide, rain gear, and/or anything else you may need for the day. If you need to borrow binoculars for the day, please let us know in advance.
Contact Evelyn Leigh, trip organizer, at email@example.com or 303-818-7960 with questions. Please also either email or text Evelyn your cell phone number and indicate whether you plan to board the bus in Kingston or New Paltz.
The field trips of JBNHS are oriented to nature study. They are free and open to the public. We do, however, sometimes visit sites that charge admission fees, which are the responsibility of the participants. Children are very welcome on field trips, but pets are not. Although there is a brief courtesy waiting period for latecomers, the meeting times are important: please arrive in time to sign up with the leader.
JBNHS FIELD TRIPS ARE BACK!!!
All participants should be aware of existing guidelines and new field trip protocol listed below:
(Scheduled field trips are listed below the guidelines)
Participant responsibility agreement while attending a JBNHS field trip or outing. Please note that there will be no physical sign-in sheet until further notice. By registering, each participant acknowledges both his/her understanding and acceptance of the Individual’s Responsibilities stated below.
Individual’s Responsibilities are:
1. To stay with the group, follow trip leader’s requests, and do not separate unless you notify trip leader
2. To understand that out-of-doors activities involve hazards and that one participates at one’s own risk
3. To wear with clothing and footwear appropriate to the terrain, and for sun and insect challenges as well
4. To adhere to the ABA Birding Code of Ethics, respect and preserve the flora, fauna, and properties we visit
5. To be mindful and courteous to other participants
Additionally, we will ask that all participants:
1. Fully vaccinated participants are not required to wear a mask for JBNHS field trips
2. Unvaccinated participants are required to wear a mask and when unable to do so, must social distance.
3. Optics may be shared if those involved are comfortable with doing so
4. Carpooling is at the discretion of participants.
5. Preregistration is required for all field trips and participation may be limited.
These guidelines are subject to change if the COVID-19 mutations make more restrictions necessary.